- Rinse the lentils well and transfer to a large saucepan.
- Add water, onion and salt, and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer on low heat, uncovered, for about 40 min., stirring occasionally.
- Stir in oats and spices, and continue cooking at very low heat for about 5 min.
- Pour mixture into a container and let cool at room temperature. Cover and refrigerate.
Cretons will keep for about 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
NOTE ON SPICES
Creton spices usually include white pepper, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and nutmeg. Read the creton spice mix label to make sure the package contains only those spices. If you can’t find creton spices, use 1 tsp. (5 ml) ground allspice with 1/8 tsp. (0.5 ml) ground ginger.
Photos : Tango [Vitalité Québec] NOVEMBER - DECEMBER 2014
Recipe: Josée Fiset