- In a saucepan, soften the white part of the leek in the olive oil. Do not brown.
- Add the milk, cauliflower and uncooked rice.
- Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to medium.
- Simmer gently for about 50 minutes, until the rice is well cooked.
- Purée using a hand mixer.
- Season with salt and pepper and add nutmeg to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Arrange the ham slices on parchment paper and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until the ham is dry and lightly browned.
- Let cool for a few minutes then slice into bite-size pieces or strips.
- Place ham pieces on the soup just before serving.
- Sprinkle generously with fresh chives. Delicious!
- And for the grand finale, add croutons.
- "For the croutons: ideally you should use day-old bread. Brown slices in the toaster, then cut into cubes, or toast cubes of bread in the oven. When I’m in a hurry, I slice the ham into strips and sauté with a little olive oil until crispy".
Photos : Tango [Vitalité Québec] NOVEMBER/DECEMBER 2010
Recipe: Josée Fiset