Warm cranberry juice flavoured with chai spices
Preparation : 20min
Preparation Time : 20min
Servings : 4
- 4 cups (1 L) unsweetened cranberry juice
- 1 orange, thinly sliced
- 2-3 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) chai masala Indian spice mix (OR create your own: mix 4 cardamom pods crushed with a pestle or 1/4 tsp (1 ml) ground cardamom; 2 slices fresh ginger or a pinch ground ginger; 2 crushed whole cloves or a pinch ground cloves; and, a pinch freshly ground black pepper)
- In a large saucepan, bring to a boil cranberry juice, orange slices, cinnamon sticks and chai masala Indian spice mix. Boil 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, steep 15 minutes and strain through sieve before serving. Reheat as needed.
- If juice is served in a pitcher, garnish with orange slices and cinnamon sticks.
"This drink is especially comforting on a cold day. The whole family will love the warm feeling it gives after an afternoon of winter sports, while enjoying an evening by the fire, or during the Holiday season. I’ve always liked serving hot, flavourful drinks to my children. In this recipe, the enchanting fragrances of an Indian masala chai spice mix harmonize beautifully with the flavours of cranberry and orange juices. The word “chai” (which is pronounced “tcheye”) is the Hindi word for tea and “masala” means a mixture of spices. Together, “masala chai” means spiced tea".
Photos : Tango [Vitalité Québec] NOVEMBER/DECEMBER 2011
Recipe: Josée Fiset