Preparation : 30min
Total cooking time : 45min
Servings : 4
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) cashew nuts
- 1 cup (250 ml) lukewarm water
- 9 oz. (270 g) Valrhona Manjari dark chocolate, divided
- 1 1/2 tbsp. (22.5 ml) honey
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) fresh or frozen raspberries
- 1 1/4 cup (310 ml) cane sugar, divided
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) coconut butter or vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) egg whites
- 1 1/2 cup (375 ml) ground almonds
- 1 basket fresh raspberries, for the topping
Preparation for the cashew milk
- In a small bowl, soak nuts in water for 3 or 4 hours.
- Transfer mixture to a blender and puree until it reaches the consistency of milk. Strain through cheesecloth or a fine-meshed sieve if tiny bits of nuts remain in the liquid. Set aside.
Preparation for the ganache
- In the top of a double boiler over simmering water on medium heat, melt 1 cup (250 ml) chocolate.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, combine honey with 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp. (220 ml) cashew milk, and gently heat.
- Using a wooden spoon, slowly add the milk mixture to the melted chocolate. Using a hand mixer, whip mixture until smooth.
- Refrigerate ganache for 5 to 6 hours or until ganache is completely set.
Preparation for the cranberry-raspberry jam
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine cranberries, raspberries and 1/2 cup (125 ml) Bring mixture to a boil and let boil for 30 seconds. Using a hand mixer, puree the mixture, then refrigerate.
Preparation for the chocolate meringue
- Preheat oven to 350oF (180oC).
- Using coconut butter or vegetable oil, grease the side of an 8 (20 cm) round cake pan.
- Cut out an 8 (20 cm) round from a sheet of parchment and use it to line bottom of pan.
- In the top of a double boiler over simmering water on medium heat, melt 3 1/2 oz. (100 g) chocolate.
- In a large bowl, combine egg whites with 1/3 cup + 2 tsp. (95 ml) sugar. Using an electric mixer on high speed, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry, 3 or 4 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine ground almonds with 1/3 cup + 2 tsp. (95 ml) sugar. Using a spatula, delicately fold mixture into beaten egg whites, and then, the melted chocolate.
- Using a piping bag or a spatula, transfer mixture to cake pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake meringue for 30 minutes (20 minutes if a moister texture is desired). Let cool on rack for about 30 minutes and then turn it out.
Assembling the cake
- Remove parchment from bottom of meringue and transfer to a platter.
- Transfer ganache to a piping bag fit with a decorating tip and cover meringue with ganache, using a circular motion, or use a spatula to spread ganache evenly over meringue.
- Cover ganache with cranberry-raspberry jam, spreading it out evenly, then top with fresh raspberries and serve.
Photos : Tango [Vitalité Québec] NOVEMBER - DECEMBER 2016
Recipe: Josée Fiset