Jerusalem Artichoke and Asparagus Carpaccio
Preparation : 15min
Total cooking time : 15min
Servings : 4
- 4 Jerusalem artichokes, peeled
- 1 lemon, zested and squeezed
- 4 large asparagus
- ¼ cup (60 ml) olive oil
- Chopped chives, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Using a mandoline, thinly slice Jerusalem artichokes. Sprinkle with lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Divide Jerusalem artichoke slices evenly among 4 dinner plates. Set aside.
- Using a mandoline, thinly slice asparagus lengthwise and cover Jerusalem artichoke slices evenly with asparagus slices.
- Brush vegetables with olive oil. Top with lemon zest and chopped chives. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
It’s important to sprinkle lemon juice on the Jerusalem artichoke slices because they oxidize quickly.
The little-known Jerusalem artichoke is a root vegetable with great properties. Thanks to its fructan (carbohydrate) content, which in turn contains inulin, it contributes to good intestinal health. It’s also rich in vitamins, minerals and fibre, is four times lower in calories than the potato, and offers toning and diuretic benefits.
As always, its therapeutic value is more effective when it’s eaten raw.
Photos : Tango [Vitalité Québec] JANUARY 2018
Recipe : Josée Fiset