Butternut Squash and Kale au Gratin
Preparation : 20min
Total cooking time : 40min
Servings : 4
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) olive oil
- ½ butternut squash, seeded, peeled and cut into ½ in. (1.25 cm) cubes
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) chopped fresh sage
- ¼ tsp. (1.25 ml) red pepper flakes
- Salt, to taste
- 1 cup (250 ml) chicken or vegetable broth
- 8 cups (2 L) coarsely chopped kale
- 2 cups (500 ml) cooked white beans or 2 x 14 oz. (398 ml) cans white beans, well drained
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 7 oz. (200 g) thinly sliced prosciutto (optional)
- 7 oz. (200 g) grated Gruyère cheese
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat olive oil.
- Add squash and cook until slightly firm, stirring often, about 8 minutes.
- Add sage and red pepper flakes, and salt to taste, along with chicken broth, mixing well.
- Once mixture starts to simmer, add kale, stirring until it starts to wilt, about 2 minutes. Mix in beans, cover and let simmer on low for about 5 minutes.
- Mix in Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, then transfer mixture to a 9 x 13 in. (23 x 33 cm) gratin dish.
- Top with prosciutto (if using) and Gruyère cheese, and broil in oven until golden.
With its bright colours, this vegetable gratin is a feast for the palate and the eyes! My naturopath friend says our plate should always contain vegetables of different colours. It’s an easy way to make sure we eat a greater variety of nutrients.
Photos : Tango [Vitalité Québec] JANUARY 2017
Recipe: Josée Fiset