Marinated tofu with tahini sauce
Preparation : 30min
Total cooking time : 120min
Servings : 4
- Juice from 1 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) tamari sauce
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) honey
- 1 x 1 lb. (500 g) package of firm tofu cut into 3/4 in. (2 cm) cubes
- 3 cups (750 ml) water
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) salt
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) red rice
- 3 green onions, finely sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) tahini (sesame butter)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Prepare the marinade: In a medium bowl, whisk lemon juice, tamari sauce, sunflower oil, ginger, sesame oil and honey until smooth.
- Add tofu and marinate for at least 2 h, preferably overnight or for the whole day.
- Prepare the rice: In a large saucepan over high heat, bring water and salt to a boil. Add rice, reduce heat to low and cook rice for 30 to 40 min (or according to package directions). Drain rice if any water remains in the pan after cooking, and then mix in green onions.
- Meanwhile, after the rice has been cooking for 30 min., mix tofu and marinade well, then remove tofu from marinade with a slotted spoon to drain.
- In a large nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat, put tofu with 1/2 cup (125 ml) marinade, setting remaining marinade aside for the tahini sauce recipe. Cook tofu until golden and slightly crispy, about 10 min. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare the tahini sauce: In a blender, mix reserved marinade, tahini and lemon juice until smooth and creamy.
- Serve tofu on a bed of red rice and drizzle with tahini sauce. (You may use remaining sauce as a dressing in another recipe.)