Rosemary Zucchini Gratin
Preparation : 15min
Total cooking time : 105min
Servings : 6
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- About 10 medium zucchini, green or yellow, sliced into 1/2 in. (1.25 cm) rounds
- 3 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 3 to 5 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- About 1 lb. (500 g) Gruyère cheese (aged, if possible), grated
- 1 very large onion, sliced into 1/4 in. (0.5 cm) rounds
- 4 oz. (125 g) Emmenthal cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Using extra-virgin olive oil, grease a 12 x 8 in. (30 × 20 cm) baking dish.
- Cover bottom of dish with zucchini rounds, spreading them evenly.
- Top evenly with a third of the rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper, Gruyère and onion rounds. Repeat the layers twice more.
- Top with Emmenthal and bake for about 1h30.
- Let stand for a few minutes before serving.
What makes this meal so lovely is the broth on the bottom of the dish and the crispy melted cheese on top. I serve it in a shallow bowl, and make sure I have real good crusty bread to dip in the broth. Kids love the concept of vegetables, cheese and bread dipped in broth!