Raw Beet and Fennel Salad
Preparation : 20min
Total cooking time : 20min
Servings : 4
Ingredients for the salad
- 4 medium beets, peeled and grated
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 oranges, cut into segments (see technique below)
- 1 Royal Gala or Empire apple, cored and cubed
- ½ cup (125 ml) almonds, roasted and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) chopped cilantro
Ingredients for the vinaigrette
- ½ cup (125 ml) orange juice
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) whole grain mustard
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Prepare the orange segments: Using a small, sharp knife, cut off the peel and white pith from the oranges and, working over a small bowl to catch the juice, cut out the segments, setting the fruit’s membranes aside.
- On a large serving platter, place grated beets, fennel, celery and onion slices, apple cubes, orange segments, almonds and cilantro. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Make the vinaigrette: Over a small bowl, press the reserved fruit membranes between your hands to squeeze the juice out, discarding membranes afterwards. Whisk in orange juice, maple syrup, and both types of mustard. Slowly whisk oil into mixture in bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over fruits and vegetables on platter and serve.
Cooking note: Presenting the salad in layers can be an interesting option, because it lets us see each ingredient and creates a different tasting experience than a tossed salad.