Red vegetable soup
Preparation : 15min
Total cooking time : 70min
Servings : 6
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 medium beets, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 medium red cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 1 apple, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1.5 L(6 cups) homemade or packaged vegetable broth
- 1 to 2 tsp. grated fresh ginger, to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) Mediterranean-style yogurt (10%)
- In a skillet, heat oil over high heat and brown the onion for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add broth, beets and cabbage, and simmer over medium heat for 40 to 50 minutes.
- Purée using a hand blender. Let stand for 2 minutes.
- Skim if necessary.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with plain yogurt.
"Store gingerroot in the freezer. This makes it easier to grate and eliminates the need for peeling. I like thick soups, especially in winter. If you prefer yours a little thinner, add more broth".
Photos : Tango [Vitalité Québec] FEBRUARY 2011
Recipe: Josée Fiset