PREPARE THIS THE EVENING BEFORE.
- Over a large bowl, grate apple with skin and stir in lemon juice.
- Add oats, almonds, milk, yogourt and maca to apple in bowl, mixing well.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 12 hours.
- Serve for breakfast, garnished with fresh berries and, if desired, sweetened to taste with honey or agave syrup. If mixture is too thick, thin it with a little milk.
- Refrigerated, the birchermüesli keeps for 2-3 days.
Mix rolled oats with other grains (kamut, spelt, etc.).
Vary the fruit by replacing them with what’s in season or whatever inspires you!
Replace the milk with soy milk.
Grill the rolled oats and almonds in the oven at 375ºF (190ºC) or in a skillet on medium-high heat, until the almonds start to brown. Turn as needed to grill evenly.
Instead of maca powder, use flaxseed, chia seeds or hemp seeds.
Photos : Tango [Vitalité Québec] FEBRUARY 2012
Recipe: Josée Fiset