INDIAN-STYLE ZUCCHINI SALAD
- In a bowl, combine yogurt, tomatoes, curry powder, cumin and salt. Add pepper to taste. Set aside.
- With a vegetable peeler, shave the zucchini lengthwise to make ribbons.
- Add zucchini and mushrooms to yogurt mixture and mix well.
- Set aside.
- In a saucepan, cook rice in water with salt according to package instructions.
- Add flaxseed and mix well.
- With moistened hands, shape mixture into 4 packed balls and flatten into 3 in. (10 cm) patties.
- In a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat, heat oil and add patties.
- Brush tops of patties with oil. Cook on both sides until golden-crisp, 5 to 10 min.
- Top with zucchini salad and a few cilantro leaves.
This dish may be served three ways. First, let the zucchini salad marinate while the rice cooks, which yields a juicy and flavourful meal. Or top the rice patties with half the zucchini salad then divide the rest between bowls set on individual plates, to let guests serve themselves. This is a wonderful way to keep the zucchini crunchy and light. You may also prepare a chicken variation to make a meal with more protein: top rice patties with stir-fried salted and peppered pieces of chicken
Photos : Tango [Vitalité Québec] MARCH 2014
Recipe: Josée Fiset