- Make dressing: In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, lemon juice and green onion. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix well. Refrigerate.
- Make salad: Fill lower pan of a double boiler with water and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Meanwhile, cut chicken and transfer to a large bowl. Add paprika, turmeric, Cajun spice mix, onion powder and ½ tsp. (2.5 ml) salt, mixing well to evenly coat chicken pieces.
- Steam-cook chicken in upper pan of double boiler until fully cooked, 20–25 minutes, shredding the meat as it cooks.
- In a large bowl, combine the shredded chicken with the vinaigrette.
- Peel and grate the beets and quickly add to chicken in bowl to prevent beets from oxidizing. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Line a large serving dish with lettuce and evenly top with salad. Garnish with sprouts and parsley, and serve.
Note: I really like steam-cooking chicken. The trick to keeping it flavourful is to coat it with a good measure of spices. If time permits, rub the meat with the spice mix 2 hours before cooking.
When I prepare salads, I like combining hot and cold ingredients. In this case, the cold beets keep their crunchy texture but become warm when mixed with the hot chicken. I admit I’m especially fond of this salad!
Photos : Tango [Vitalité Québec] SEPTEMBER 2018
Recipe: Josée Fiset