Ingredients for cakes
- 1 ½ cups (375 ml) spelt flour
- 2 tsp. (10 ml) baking powder
- 1(5 ml) ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. (0.5 ml) ground cloves (optional)
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp. (45 ml) vegetable oil
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups (750 ml) peeled and grated beets
- 1 cup (250 ml) chopped walnuts
- 1 cup (250 ml) chopped pitted dates
- 1 cup (250 ml) sulfite-free raisins or chopped organic apricots
- Chocolate curls and mint leaves, as toppings (optional)
Ingredients for maple sauce
- 1 cup (250 ml) maple syrup
- 1 cup (250 ml) creamy soy preparation
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Grease eight 1-cup (250 ml) ramequins or short, wide coffee cups.
- Make the cake: In a large bowl, combine flour with baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt.
- In another large bowl, whisk vegetable oil and eggs. Stir in beets, walnuts, dates and raisins.
- Gently mix dry ingredients into egg mixture with a spatula or wooden spoon until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Divide batter among ramequins and transfer to a large roasting pan. Pour boiling water into the pan until it reaches halfway up the ramequins. Transfer to oven and bake for 40 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare maple sauce.
- Make the sauce: In a large, heavy saucepan over high heat, bring maple syrup to a boil and add a wooden spoon to syrup to prevent it from overflowing. Let syrup boil until it becomes a dark brown colour, 5–7 minutes or, if using a candy thermometer, until it reaches 250°F (120°C).
- Slowly whisk in creamy soy preparation, then beat vigorously until blended. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Remove pan from oven and let cakes cool for 30 minutes.
- Divide maple sauce among 8 serving dishes. Unmold lukewarm cakes over sauce in dishes. If desired, top cakes with chocolate curls and mint leaves. Serve immediately.
Photos : Tango [Vitalité Québec] FEBRUARY 2016
Recipe: Josée Fiset