Ingredients for the Greek yogourt sauce
- 1 cup (250 ml) Greek yogourt
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, grated
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) coarsely chopped fresh mint
- ½ tsp. chopped garlic
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Ingredients for the patties
- 1½ cups (375 ml) cooked and cooled chickpeas (rinsed and drained if from a can)
- ½ cup (125 ml) cooked and cooled red lentils
- ¼ cup (60 ml) quick-cooking oats
- ¼ cup (60 ml) finely chopped chives
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) olive oil + more for cooking
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) lemon juice
- 1½ tsp. (7.5 ml) herbes de Provence
- ½ tsp. (2.5 ml) garlic powder
- ¾ tsp. (3.75 ml) salt
- ¾ tsp. (3.75 ml) pepper
- Make sauce: In a small bowl, combine yogourt, cucumber, lemon juice, mint, garlic, salt and pepper. Refrigerate.
- Make patties: In a large bowl, use a potato masher to mash chickpeas. Stir in lentils, oats, chives, olive oil, lemon juice, herbes de Provence, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Set aside for 30 min so oats can soak up the liquid.
- Divide mixture into 2 tbsp. (30 ml) portions and form into patties about ½ in. (1.25 cm) thick.
- Heat some olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add patties and cook until golden brown and heated through, 2–3 minutes per side.
- Serve patties with yogourt sauce.
Variation: Indian-style patties
Replace herbes de Provence with the following spice and herb mix: ½ cup (125 ml) finely chopped cilantro, 2 tsp. (10 ml) curry powder and ½ tsp. (2.5 ml) ground cumin.
Photos : Tango [Vitalité Québec] OCTOBER 2018
Recipe: Josée Fiset