I really like combining hot and cold, or cooked and raw foods. In this recipe, the chicken is baked at a low temperature so it stays tender: it’s important to avoid overbaking so it doesn’t dry out.
When time permits, I let the chicken strips marinate for a few hours in the refrigerator. All you need to do is add the desired seasonings to the mustard and olive oil: Onion powder, paprika and a pinch of cayenne pepper, for a barbecue flavour;
Tarragon, herbes de Provence* or basil.
- Preheat oven to 225°F (110°C).
- In a large saucepan, cook rice mix according to package directions.
- In a small bowl, combine mustard, 1 tbsp. (15 ml) olive oil and paprika, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and cinnamon.
- Add chicken strips to mixture in bowl, mixing until strips are thoroughly coated. Transfer to a baking sheet and sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Bake chicken in oven for about 15 minutes or until cooked and juicy.
- In the meantime, in a large bowl, combine zucchini ribbons with remaining 2 tbsp. (30 ml) olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste, and mix well. Set aside.
- Once rice is cooked, add cranberries, fluffing rice with a fork.
- To serve, divide zucchini, chicken and rice among plates, and drizzle with olive oil to taste.
*A mixture of dried herbs typical of the Provence region, such as thyme, rosemary, sage, oregano, etc.
Photos : Tango [Vitalité Québec] NOVEMBRE - DÉCEMBRE 2016
Recipe: Josée Fiset