- Prepare the base: Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C).
- In a food processor, chop pecans until they’re the texture of rolled oats. Transfer to a large bowl, and mix in rolled oats and salt.
- In a small bowl, using a fork, whisk oil, water and maple syrup. Add to pecan-oat mixture in bowl, mixing well, and let sit for 10 min so the rolled oats absorb the liquid and the mixture can be rolled into a ball by hand.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Top with dough and spread it by hand to make an 8 in. (20 cm) circle. Bake dough in oven until golden, 40 to 50 min. Let cool on a cake rack at room temperature.
- Meanwhile, prepare the topping: In a medium nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat, melt butter and heat maple syrup. Add pears and caramelize until deep golden and the liquid has entirely evaporated. Set aside.
- Prepare pecans: After removing base from oven, bring oven temperature up to 325°F (160°C). Roast pecans in oven 15 min., turn off oven and leave pecans in oven. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small nonstick frying pan over high heat, bring maple syrup to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer syrup for 2 min. to reduce it. Mix in pecans, stirring constantly until caramelized, and then spread evenly over prepared cookie sheet. Let cool at room temperature, then break into pieces.
- Assemble and decorate the tart: Melt chocolate in a double boiler. Brush tart base with melted chocolate. Top with pears in a fan shape, then with caramelized pecans, and serve.
Photos : Tango [Vitalité Québec] APRIL 2013
Recipe: Josée Fiset