- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Line an 8 in. (20 cm) springform pan with parchment paper.
- To prepare cake, use a food processor to grind 3 tbsp. (45 ml) sugar with the almond paste into a fine, granular powder. Set aside, leaving mixture in bowl of processor.
- Meanwhile, melt chocolate in a double boiler (or a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water). Let cool to room temperature, about 5 minutes.
- Add cocoa powder, egg yolks and melted chocolate to mixture in bowl of food processor and mix until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer at medium speed, beat egg whites until they hold soft peaks. Increase speed to high, and add remaining ¼ cup (60 ml) sugar, 1 tbsp. (15 ml) at a time, beating until meringue holds stiff, glossy peaks.
- Using a spatula, gently fold reserved chocolate mixture into meringue, and then transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake cake in oven for 30 minutes. Let cool at room temperature on a wire rack. Cake will deflate and lose half its size.
- Meanwhile, prepare sauce: Melt chocolate in a double boiler (or a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water). Remove from heat and incorporate oil using a whisk, whisking vigorously to emulsify.
- Remove cake from pan, gently removing parchment paper from cake: a thin film of cake will remain stuck to the paper, giving the cake its rustic look. Pour chocolate sauce over cake and serve immediately.
Photos : Tango [Vitalité Québec] NOV / DEC 2018
Recipe: Josée Fiset